Thinking about coming to Keystone for an RV factory tour? In addition to a fascinating behind-the-scenes look RV manufacturing there is oh so much to do in and around Goshen, Indiana. Here's our guide to planning your visit.
Nestled in the heart of the Midwest, Elkhart County, Indiana, offers a unique blend of Amish heritage, industrial innovation, and vibrant downtown culture. From the quaint streets of Shipshewana to the cutting-edge exhibits at the RV Hall of Fame, this county has something for every traveler seeking an authentic and diverse experience. Join us as we take you on a virtual journey through Elkhart County's top attractions, including Shipshewana, the RV Hall of Fame, and downtown Goshen.
Shipshewana: A Glimpse into Amish Culture
Our journey begins in Shipshewana, a charming town renowned for its Amish community and traditional way of life. Stepping into Shipshewana feels like stepping back in time, where horse-drawn carriages share the road with modern vehicles. The town is famous for its weekly flea market and auction, where visitors can find unique handcrafted items, locally-produced goods, and delicious Amish treats. Strolling through the market, the aroma of homemade pies and the sight of intricate quilts showcase the craftsmanship that defines this community.
Some of our favorite things to do:
- Take in a show at the Blue Gate Theater
- Eat yourself into a food coma at the Das Dutchman Essenhaus (technically down the road in Middlebury, IN) or the Blue Gate Restaurant
- Explore the downtown shops at the Davis Mercantile and Yoder’s Shopping Center
- Drive the colorful Barn Quilt trail and see more than 30 larger than life quilt designs
- Jump in a horse and buggy for an Amish Country Guided Tour
- Learn about the heritage of the local Amish and Mennonite communities at the Menno-Hof cultural center
- Treat yourself to a one-of-a-kind cinnamon caramel donuts at from the Rise ‘N Roll Bakery (also down the road in Middlebury)
RV Hall of Fame: Celebrating the Road Trip Experience
For those with a love for adventure and travel, the RV Hall of Fame is an absolute must-visit. Elkhart County is often referred to as the "RV Capital of the World," and this museum pays homage to the rich history of recreational vehicles. The Hall of Fame features an impressive collection of vintage RVs, ranging from classic motorhomes to quirky camper designs from different eras. Interactive exhibits highlight the evolution of RV technology and how it has revolutionized the way we explore the world.
Downtown Goshen: Where Art Meets Community
A short drive from Shipshewana takes us to downtown Goshen, a vibrant hub of creativity and culture. With its tree-lined streets and historic architecture, Goshen exudes small-town charm. Art galleries, boutique shops, and local eateries line the streets, inviting visitors to explore and immerse themselves in the community. The Goshen Theater, a beautifully restored historic venue, hosts live performances that range from plays to concerts, providing a taste of local talent.
Some of our favorite things to do:
- Catch live music on Wednesday nights at the Goshen Brewing Company
- Explore the incredible Ignition Music Garage record store and recording studio
- Grab a cuppa at Embassy Coffee or The Electric Brew
- Dig into a tasty Neapolitan pizza at Venturi (Voted one of Esquire’s “Top 15 Most Life-changing Pizzas in the US” (Who knew?)
Quilt Gardens: Nature's Masterpiece
One of the most unique attractions in Elkhart County is the Quilt Gardens along the Heritage Trail. These stunning gardens are meticulously designed to replicate traditional quilt patterns, showcasing an intricate fusion of horticulture and art. Each summer, vibrant flowers bloom in these geometric designs, creating a visual spectacle that draws visitors from near and far. The Quilt Gardens offer a picturesque backdrop for photos and leisurely walks, highlighting the county's dedication to blending nature and creativity.
Need A Place To Camp?
We have some recommendation there too! Here are our favorites:
- Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds (Goshen)
- Shipshewana RV Park & Service Center (Shipshewana)
- Elkhart Campground (Elkhart)
Conclusion: Come for the Afternoon, Stay for the Week
We can’t to welcome you for a Keystone factory tour and hope you’ll say and enjoy all that our community has to offer.
Elkhart County, Indiana, stands as a testament to the power of diversity, seamlessly blending Amish traditions with industrial innovation and artistic expression. Whether you're drawn to the craftsmanship of Shipshewana, the wanderlust-inducing history of the RV Hall of Fame, or the artistic vibes of downtown Goshen, this county has something to captivate every traveler's heart. So pack your bags, hit the road – we’ll see you soon!